Men who get testosterone replacement therapy at our Baton Rouge-area clinics in Louisiana have several reasons for seeking to increase their testosterone levels. Low testosterone can decrease libido, affect your mood and quality of life, and cause memory lapses. Low T levels are also directly linked to the progressive loss of muscle mass and reduced strength.
It’s no secret that athletic performance wanes as we get older (even if Tom Brady seems to defy aging’s effects), and reduced testosterone levels are one of the primary reasons. Boosting testosterone won’t necessarily restore the quick reflexes you had in your 20s, but it can increase arm, leg, and total body strength.
What Is Testosterone Replacement Therapy?
When monitored by medical experts, hormone replacement therapy provides several benefits that reverse the effects of aging. A man’s testosterone levels gradually drop as he gets older, but some men experience steeper declines than others. Some men who have a testosterone deficiency have symptoms or conditions related to their low testosterone that will improve when they take testosterone replacement. That includes muscle mass. To increase strength, we recommend combining testosterone replacement therapy with strength training and exercise.
How Is Testosterone Administered During HRT?
There are various ways to deliver testosterone as part of replacement therapy. Our providers discuss your options when creating a customized therapeutic plan based on your specific needs. Testosterone replacement therapy can be done using one of these various methods:
- Skin patch: Patients apply a patch once every 24 hours, at night, which releases small amounts of the hormone into the skin.
- Gels: A topical gel applied daily to the skin on the upper arms, shoulders, or thighs includes the hormone and is absorbed by the body. There is a risk of exposing others to testosterone if you don’t wash your hands and cover the treated area with clothing.
- Oral therapy: Swallowing capsules or attaching tablets to the gums or inner cheeks twice a day results in the bloodstream absorbing testosterone.
- Pellets: This technique involves having a specialist implant pellets just under the skin’s surface every 3 to 6 months. The pellets slowly release testosterone.
- Injections: Injectable testosterone replacement therapy includes many advantages. Injections, which are administered once or twice a week and are the prefered hormone delivery method for men (and women), offer patients more flexibility to adjust doses compared to pellets. A 2018 study comparing injections to gels concluded that testosterone injections were more effective than gels for increasing muscle mass and strength for middle-aged men.
Rejuvime Medical’s 3-Step Process
Some men hesitate to explore hormone replacement therapy because they think it’s a complicated process. Our providers understand that it can seem intimidating, and they provide clear explanations about the process and what to expect.
Rejuvime Medical’s simple 3-step process includes:
- Meet with one of our lifestyle specialists: You’ll get all of your questions answered during this initial appointment, and we’ll draw your blood so our lab can run several tests before your next appointment.
- Meet with a medical provider: A nurse provider reviews the results of the blood tests, discusses your symptoms, and creates a customized treatment plan based on the test results and the information you provide.
- Monitoring your progress: Periodic appointments are scheduled for additional blood draws to track your progress throughout the year and discuss any necessary adjustments.
That’s it. If you’ve been thinking about testosterone replacement therapy to increase muscle mass and strength or treat other low T symptoms, contact us using the online form to request a consultation. Or call us at one of our 3 locations: (225) 960-1580 (Baton Rouge), (225) 900-7009 (Denham Springs), or (504) 252-9579 (Metairie). Many men and women looking for an excellent hormone replacement therapy clinic travel from New Orleans to Rejuvime Medical after exploring all of their options.